All main ICLS events will be held at the University of Sydney (Camperdown campus) in the New Law and Eastern Avenue Auditorium. Please see the program for more infromation on getting to and from the venue.
Registration/badge pick up opens from 3pm on Tuesday July 3rd in the Eastern Avenue Auditorium lobby. For a map and information, go here.
Worried about finding your way about the campus? We recommend downloading the Lost on Campus app.
The conference will be held at the University of Sydney, just outside Sydney city centre. Sydney is a vibrant international city renowned for stunning beaches, world-class arts and entertainment, and gourmet dining, with fresh seafood and wines. Accolades for Sydney include "favourite foreign city", "most liveable city", and "most international city" to name a few.
It's also the ideal base for a range of adventures around Australia; sailing or scuba diving the crystal waters and remote islands of the Great Barrier Reef, discovering the rich rainforests and unique wildlife coast to coast, exploring the outback and ancient Aboriginal culture at Uluru, or cycling the many wine trails.
The conference will be held at the University of Sydney which is located near Sydney's downtown area (referred to locally as the Sydney CBD or central business district). Accommodation options are plentiful, from guesthouse and boutique-style rooms to student hostels and five-star hotels around the harbour.
- The Mirvac Citigate Central Sydney is offering preferential rates to ICLS delegates of $180 per night for a Citigate Room and $220 for a City View Room ($200 and $240 with buffet breakfast included). The Citigate Central Sydney is located in Sydney's Chinatown with the city's entertainment and theatre districts, shopping, Darling Harbour, Central Station and Sydney CBD within easy walking distance. It is approximately 20 minutes walk, or a 10 minute bus ride, to the ICLS 2012 location from this hotel. To get this rate, ICLS delegates should call reservations on 13 15 15 (0800 507 903 from New Zealand or +61 2 8913 3138 outside Australia and NZ), or email email@example.com. Quote ICLS and the Government rate for Sydney University to obtain this rate. It is available from June 30th to July 6th and must be booked at least 45 days prior to arrival.
- The Mercure Sydney is offering a rate of $195pn for a standard room only, $215.00 for room and breakfast for 1, or $230.00 for room and breakfast for 2 to delegates from 30-6-12 to 7-7-12. This 4 star hotel is located close to the city centre and the entertainment district, and has immediate access to Sydney's major transport hub, Central Railway Square. It is approximately 20 minutes walk, or a 10 minute bus ride, to the ICLS 2012 location from this hotel. To reserve a room at these rates, please contact Mercure Sydney reservations on +61 (0)2 9217 6666, quoting ICLS code USYD300612.
- Rydges Camperdown is less central but ideal for delegates interested in staying near the conference. It is offering ICLS delegates discounted rates on accommodation from Monday July 2nd to Friday July 6th. Rydges Camperdown is located at the edge of the University of Sydney, ten minutes walk from the conference through the grounds of the University. It is a ten minute drive to the city centre and within 5 minutes walk of Newtown, where you can find a variety of restaurants, shops, the Enmore Theatre and Newtown Train Station. Offering single queen rooms at $155 per night and twin queen rooms at $170 per night, these rates are only available through booking directly through this link.
There are plenty of other options for hotels in Sydney. Aggregator sites such as agoda.com can offer excellent deals or wotif.com.au is a good site for those booking in the months leading up to the event. Hotels located in Glebe, Camperdown and Darlington will all be within easy walking distance to the University, those in the city centre will be a little further (20-40 mins walk, depending) but will have easy access to public transport to get you to the conference.
Hostels and on-campus accommodation
Some on-campus residential colleges offer casual accommodation to students and visitors during the mid-year vacation in July, and most colleges and Sydney University Village offer casual accommodationn during the Christmas vacation. Visit the University of Sydney temporary accomodation website for more information.
Also available, via a staff member at the Uni, is a house in Forest Lodge within 20 minutes walk of the University. It sleeps 4-6 people and would suit two couples or a family, especially anyone wanting to extend their stay in Sydney around the conference dates. It is $1260 a week - view details and contact via www.121hereford.com.au
Other nearby options for accommodation include Sydney's excellent selection of YHAs. Book early, as YHAs will book out a few months in advance:
- Sydney Central YHA - located near Central Station in Sydney's CBD, this hostel is 20 minutes walk, or a 10 minute bus ride, to the ICLS 2012 location. Room rates from $38 per night 6 share to $110 for a double ensuite.
- Sydney Railway Square YHA - located at Central Station in Sydney's CBD, this hostel is 25 minutes walk, or a 10 minute bus ride, to the ICLS 2012 location. Room rates from $34 per night for an 8 share room to $102 for a double ensuite. Book early.
- Sydney Glebe YHA - a smaller and relaxed hostel in Glebe, a leafy inner city area known for its cafes, restaurants and pubs. 10 minutes walk from the University and 15 from the city. Rates from $32 for a 4 share to $85 for a private double or twin room.
More on Sydney and Australia
- www.visitnsw.com (Sydney is located in the state of New South Wales)