Sustainability, Accessibility and Inclusiveness at ISLS 2023
At the ISLS Annual Meeting 2023, we hope to bring scholars from around the world to build knowledge and sustain our community. We strive to host sustainable, inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals to engage fully.
Show your support by donating to our sustainability and accessibility initiatives
Borrowing definitions from our host institutions, Dawson College and Concordia University’s Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, we define sustainability as being pluralistic and inclusive, encompassing factors such as human and ecological health, social justice, secure livelihoods, and a better world for all generations. Recognizing that travel and gatherings associated with in-person conferences place a burden on the planet, ISLS2023 aims to offset some of our impact by this effort. You may help offset conference greenhouse gas emissions from participant travel through a verified program that will reforest marginal land and provide income for families in central America. (Read more details below)
- A sponsorship of $25 will help offset flights from North America, South America, and Europe.
- A sponsorship of $50 will help offset flights from Asia, Africa, and Australia.
At ISLS 2023, we hope to foster broader participation of members from marginalized communities in terms of both identity and research. For example, we wish to raise awareness of issues related to planning for participants with diverse needs, with the goal of increasing inclusive processes and practices at this year’s event. We acknowledge that progress towards more equitable and inclusive ISLS events will be incremental and entails a long term commitment. Your financial support will help us take some steps this year towards hosting an accessible and inclusive Conference.
Conference Attendance Support
- A sponsorship of $252 will allow a student to attend this year’s conference.
- A sponsorship of $50 will pay for a student to attend the Conference Dinner.
- A sponsorship of $30 will pay for a student’s lunch.
Together, let’s make our Annual Conference an event for ALL!
The International Society of the Learning Sciences (ISLS) is a 501.c organization. Donations are tax deductible if no goods or services are received according to current U.S. tax laws. Please consult your tax specialist for how this may apply in your circumstance. If you are located outside of the U.S. please check on the regulations regarding donations in your location.
If you are making a corporate donation, please contact the ISLS Treasurer, Sam Abramovich ([email protected]).
More About Sustainability at ISLS 2023
Here are some interesting facts about the sustainability efforts that we are building on:
- Waste: We are trying to hold a Zero waste event. Thank you for using the waste sorting stations throughout the building. Every small apple core or napkin placed in the compostable materials container adds up! Dawson composted 1 metric ton of organic material per week from the containers in 2022. At Concordia, 5% of the waste stream is made up of composted organics.
- Offsets: Thank you to those that contributed to travel offsets for could offset their travel to the conference by purchasing trees. These tree will absorb the equivalent greenhouse gases created from travel and help farmers in Central America reforest marginal land and increase their income food items that grow in the understory. These forests are monitored monthly, and farmers are paid to care for them. Biodiversity is increased, sustainable local economies stimulated and migrating birds from Canada have a new place to go in their second home!
- Conference dinner and catered events: Planning for meals will involve a zero waste concept, use local food items to reduce transportation and Fair Trade tea and coffee. Please place any food scraps in appropriate containers.
For further information on Concordia’s sustainability efforts, please visit https://www.concordia.ca/about/sustainability.html.
You can make a difference to our efforts!