TRAILS Postdoctoral Fellowship
Website University of Maryland
The NSF Institute for Trustworthy AI in Law & Society (TRAILS; https://www.trails.umd.edu/) is seeking talented, highly motivated applicants for multiple postdoctoral fellowship positions at both the University of Maryland and at the George Washington University. Successful candidates will conduct research and scholarship focused on novel approaches to artificial intelligence (AI) that advance trust and trustworthiness, and empowers and educates users. TRAILS aims to transform the practice of AI from one that is driven primarily by technological innovation to one focused on ethics, human rights, and support for communities whose voices have been marginalized in mainstream AI. These are one- or two-year fellowships, with flexible start dates in 2023 or early 2024.
Please see the full job postings at the University of Maryland and at the George Washington University for more details:
For full consideration, all application materials should be submitted by July 31, 2023 through separate online application forms for UMD and for GW.
As a TRAILS Postdoctoral Fellow, you will have the ability to pursue your own research agenda, working with faculty and students who are part of a unique interdisciplinary research community that joins researchers across AI, incorporating insights from algorithm development, systems engineering and architecture, human psychology, sociology, law, science and technology studies, economics, and policy studies.
● Ph.D. in relevant field – completed or close to completion by the start date
● Research ability demonstrated by two conference or journal publications, book chapters, or equivalent (potentially unpublished) writing samples, requested as part of the application
● Research agenda that overlaps with multiple TRAILS faculty
● Demonstrated ability to work in a highly interdisciplinary environment
● Participation in the applicant’s broader scientific community
● Strong communication skills
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during any part of the application or recruiting process, please send a request via email to hal3 AT umd DOT edu or to broniatowski AT email DOT gwu DOT edu with subject line “Accomodation for TRAILS Postdoctoral Fellowship.
To apply for this job please visit obj.umiacs.umd.edu.